2020 Northwest Region Masters Championships (July 18) and National Throws Championships (August 22-23) Canceled
A short while ago I received the following message from George Mathews (Northwest Region Masters Coordinator and Meet Director for the 2020 National Masters Throws Championships) to those involved in organizing the meets in the Seattle area:
It is with great regret we feel it is right for us cancel our scheduled Masters meets:
Northwest Region/Seattle Classic/Pacific NW Masters/Open July 18
USA National Masters Throws Championships August 22-23
There are many reasons for this decision that we believe most of you will understand. They include:
• The lead time and preparation required by meet directors, officials, and athletes
• A majority of our officials and many of our athletes are over the vulnerable age of 60
• The many people’s reluctance to travel, particularly by air, which could have financial penalties if canceled
• The uncertainty caused by Covid-19 and its progression through the summer
• Sanctions/liability insurance from USATF on hold indefinitely
• Uncertainty of our venue reservations with the City of Seattle
• Uncertainty when and how larger events will be managed within the State of Washington
• No clear protocols in place for the running and management of track and field meets
There are many more complexities to consider too numerous to define in this email. Therefore, we feel it is better to be prudent at this time and give everyone as much notice as possible.
Train well, Be safe. We will see everyone next year.